Businesses located or doing business in Lakewood must obtain a local business license prior to commencing operations. Start by obtaining a state business license and Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the state Department of Revenue. Depending on your business, you may also need a professional or specialty license, also available from the state. After you’ve taken care of that, download and fill out the Lakewood business license application. Specialty businesses may have additional application requirements and fees. A complete list of City business-related licenses is included below:
- General business license .
- Home occupation permit .
- Garage sale permit .
- Rental housing complex business license .
- Specialty license permits including:
- Solicitors and peddlers
- Commercial kennels, hobby kennels, grooming parlor or pet shop licenses
- Pawnshops and secondhand sales
- Carnivals and circuses
- Wrecking yards
- Public dances, cabarets, dance halls, and teenage dances
- Outdoor public music festivals
- Massage businesses
- Adult cabarets
- Panorams and peep shows
- Massage parlors and bathhouses
When I apply for a general business license, what information do I need to bring with me?
- State UBI number
- For non-profit businesses, the IRS 501(c) registration number
- The name and location of the business
- The name, address and phone number of the business owner(s)
- The name, address and phone number of the corporate office
- The number of employees
- Total square footage of the business
- Leasing agent/agency, if any, including mailing address
- Additional state licenses, if applicable (for example, liquor, gambling, or contractor's license)
Is my business license information confidential?
Certain information may be confidential, but under state law information such as the name of your business, location, phone number and type of business must be disclosed to the public upon request.
How much does a business license cost?
All City fees are set by the City Council and may be changed from time to time. Currently, the cost of a general business license is $60 per year (or portion of year, if issued mid-year). As noted above, additional fees may apply to specialty businesses. Please call us if you need further information.
How can I get my business license?
Please follow these steps:
- Download a business license application or pick one up from the City's Community Development Department on the second floor of City Hall.
- Complete the business license application and return it to the Community Development Department with your payment. You must come in person. We do not accepted mailed-in or e-mailed applications.
- After payment is received, the Community Development Department will process the application. In most cases, the license will be mailed to you within ten business days.
Is my business license transferable?
Business licenses cannot be transferred. If there is a change in the ownership or its structure (sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, etc.), or if the business is moving, , you must apply for a new business license.
How do I renew my license?
Business licenses expire one (1) calendar year from the date they are issued or renewed. Renewal invoices are sent out to all licensed businesses within Lakewood one (1) month prior to the expiration date. Please review the information, update and make changes as needed, and fill in any missing information. Then sign and date the bottom of the form and mail it back to City Hall with a check for the appropriate amount. Business licenses may also be renewed in person at the Permit Counter on the second floor of City Hall. When renewing in person, you may use either a check or credit card. Please be advised that untimely renewal of licenses will result in the application of late fees.
If you are no longer doing business in Lakewood but receive a renewal invoice, please initial the line at the bottom of the page indicating that the business has closed or been sold, then sign and return the form.
Please call (253) 512-2261 if you have any questions about the renewal process.